Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Action Inquiry

As a high school mathematics teacher, it is my job to meet all of their learning needs. In my Geometry classroom, I made it a priority to differentiate learning based on student needs. With half of my students on Individual Education Plans and approximately and many of my students taking my course for the second or third time, my attention was directed at differentiating for this population. However, during several staff developments on differentiated instruction, I often found it difficult to lesson plan each day to differentiate for all learners, including those with advanced abilities. It was at then that I recognized that I neglected the students in my room with a high achievement record. In an hour period I must be able to reach students on every level and also assess them regularly. How do I challenge the advanced without neglecting the remedial? How do I meet all their learning needs in my lesson planning? In my end of year observation I recognized I was not engaging all of them fully. Therefore, my final action research question became How does differentiated instruction benefit or inhibit daily lesson planning?

2 comments:

Nicole W said...

I think that implementing differentiated instruction in the classroom is great! The school district that I am working in we are starting to use a program where the teacher can go in first and adjust the students starting point according to their instructional level without the student knowing. This allows for the students to start at a level where they can be successful and not get easily frustrated.
I also like this program because based on how well the student does; it will print out papers to send home for the parent and child to work on together. All papers will be different according to where the student is in the program. This is a great tool to use after a lesson and to reinforce the learning from the classroom.

John Q said...

It may be important in your study to show how technology is implemented in the lesson planning as well when it pertains to differentiated instruction.